Saturday, October 30, 2010

Week 3

This marks the end of week 3. We are now a third of the way through our classes. Already? Well, yes, we have short quarters and they are quite intense. I have a test coming up next week in sanitation. Hopefully I'll do well. The academic classes are going pretty well. Its the "lab" that really tests my knowledge.
I know I said before that the 4 hour lecture classes are long, and they are brutally long, but the kitchen is not a place where you can skate by for a day and catch up on a little reading later. If I am not prepared, man it shows. That is probably the most important thing I've learned so far. Not techniques, not skills, not the quality standards of a good stock, but to be mentally prepared for cooking. If I do not know what goes in the soup, it slows me down when I'm told to make a soup. The skills will be learned along the way as long as I am paying close attention in class.
The first night of class I made a waterzooi soup that tasted pretty good. I used a liaison to finish the soup but I did not temper it in correctly and the liaison broke. Arrgh! Now the average american diner would have no idea, or even know what that means, but I do. And it is unacceptable. I guess I can agree with my chef in that the best way to know what a broken liaison looks like is to break one.

Until next time-
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment