Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Running -

Today I signed up for an 8k trail race on November 6. I am not sure how tough the course is going to be, but either way it should be fun. I'm hoping that it will be pretty technical, but I'll just have to wait to see. I haven't had much time on trails lately, so hopefully I'll be comfortable on this run. I have been running hills in my town, which can only help.  
Speaking of running on hills, I had an interesting dialogue with a driver the other day. He stopped to ask if I needed a lift somewhere. When I told him I was running, he chuckled and said "good luck with that hill ahead".  Running in rural Missouri sure is different than the city.

The winter is coming. The days are shorter and the nights are longer, forcing me to run in the dark many days. It is usually at night because I am generally too lazy in the morning to get up and run. Anyhow, I bought a BlackDiamond Sprinter headlamp today from Stacy at Wilderness Running Company. They were having a great sale, 25% off, plus a 10% discount code, plus free shipping. My $80 dollar headlamp came out to $56. That's a lot for a headlamp in my book, but it should be a good one, and it will only be used more and more as we get closer to the winter solstice. 

I think I may have found a companion to run with once in awhile, Rowdy. I generally like to run alone because it allows me to clear my head and recharge, but once in awhile it's nice to have company. I am looking forward to getting out again soon, hopefully today! 

My training has been going pretty good, considering my family, school, kids, etc. It is hard to find much time for myself and still keep up with all the other important things in my life. Its all about balance. Yesterday someone told me that when you say "yes" to one thing, you are saying "no" to another. I liked that, reminds me that every action has a reaction. I am not the best steward of time in general and I find myself being more and more pressed for time. Luckily I have a very supportive and loving wife, she helps me to stay on task and helps me to find time for studying. It is very hard to study with two fun little girls running around, so I've found myself sitting at the desk till 1am more than I'd like to admit, but I'd rather miss the sleep than the time with the girls. 

With that I will sign off for now and go hang with Emma and Nova-

No comments:

Post a Comment