Thursday, October 14, 2010

Culinary school day 3

So, here we are into my second week of culinary school. First the facts, then the thoughts.
Last night we made 4 of the 5 mother sauces. I'm still getting bechamel confused with veloute for some reason. Our group did pretty well, we finished the sauces efficiently and correctly. These building blocks are very important to memorize and I am still trying to remember which one is which. Ugg...
I should probably be reading recipe cards 1000 times right now, but with the intensity of some of these classes, its good to clear the head a little.
It all starts with the basics. if you can't make a good stock and a good roux, then its impossible to make a good veloute (a combination of white stock and white roux). Two things that suck mixed together do not make something good. Even farther, two great thing mixed together without the proper techniques and processes also do not make something good. I see myself practicing these techniques this week, but we'll see what time allows.
Now for the thoughts. School is going to be more demanding than I thought. Its makes a big difference having a family at home. I still have to get up early, even though I was up late typing. I have to be pretty careful about my time and not waiting till the night before. Its hard enough getting by on 6 hours of sleep, don't want to make that less.
My chef instructor is a pretty cool guy. Its obvious that he has worked in the field and that he hasn't lost the desire. He is pretty funny as well, which makes for a fun class.
I've found that I'm thinking about good food all day. I'm less and less impressed with fast food. Which I've been having more than I should anyhow. I just want some good food made from high quality ingredients and made with love. I may have to make it myself.
On another note- I sampled some posole from the latin cuisine class last night, LAME! C'mon now! I was thinking that at least in that class it would be pretty tasty. maybe my view is a little skewed, but I like it that way. I like my local flavors and specialties. The BBQ is good, but it doesn't have the love that a Chile Relleno has. Or a good posole, or... oh well.

Well its almost time for my next 4 hour lecture class, oh joy.

Thanks for reading and until next time-
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

  1. Ben, This is all so exciting. Please don't rethink your strategy of blogging your necessary journaling, because it gives us, the readers (friends and loved ones), an opportunity to enter your world. You are great at expressing yourself and I feel this is such a wonderful way to stay informed. It reminds me somewhat of the movie "Julia, Julie" as she tries to cook her way through the Julia Childs cookbook--revealing mistakes, private thoughts, life experiences and all, choosing to blog it all. Thank you for this gift, Son. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete