Saturday, October 30, 2010

Consomme

Thursday we made a few soups; cream of potato, split pea, and consomme. The first two went along smoothly and tasted good, but the consomme...not so much.
Consomme is a very delicate soup that requires a gentle hand. It is supposed to be clear, very clear. Any man-handling will result in a cloudy consomme.
The ingredients are specific, but what's more important is the process. It cannot reach a boil, it cannot be stirred, it must be ladled out of the pot, very gently. It must be strained twice, again very gently.
Well, the bad news is that somewhere along the line I was not gentle enough. The thing is that I tried to be very gentle, so I'm not exactly sure where my general roughness came in. I need to make this soup again next week for my midterm. I guess I get another chance.
The midterm is a timed cooking event. Think of "chopped" but with a specific menu, and a lot more time. I need to make four items, consomme being one of them. Hopefully I can do better this time.

onward ho!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment