Monday, November 8, 2010

Black Diamond Sprinter

Here are my first impressions on my new Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp. I have not had this headlamp for very long and only have a few miles on it so far, but it seems to be a great headlamp for general running and really excels at urban and rural nightime running.
First off the pros:
-The design makes for a well balanced headlamp, with the battery in the back and the light in the front. This allows the bulb unit to stay in place very well with no bounce. I have found that excessive bouncing can cause a little nausea, not the case with the Sprinter.
-The unit is rechargeable, this is also a con, but it does free me from finding batteries at the last minute. It also does not cause more batteries in the landfill.
-The pattern (non-adjustable) is wide and bright. it does not spot well, but gives a nice field of view without having to turn your head to see an obstacle. Perfect for running, although on a long technical trail I could see a desire for more light.
-The sprinter has a red blinking light on the back, which is good for running on roads, that can be turned off for trail use or when running with others.

Cons:
-The rechargeable battery makes it not suitable for backpacking or overnight use as it cannot be recharged on the fly. For most people, this won't be a big deal, as is the case with me.
-The sprinter does not have a spot setting or bulb. This is fine for most use as the light is bright and well spread, but in the wilderness a good spot is greatly appreciated when needed. On a trail that is known, I think the sprinter will be more than sufficient.

All in all I think the Black Diamond Sprinter is an excellent headlamp for running, maybe the best on the market for most nightime runners. It does have a couple of shortcomings, but there are other headlamps designed to fit those needs, such as the Black Diamond Icon. For what the Sprinter is designed for, it nears perfection. I would definitely recommend the Sprinter to anyone looking for a running headlamp.

And thanks goes to Wilderness Running Company for the sale that brought this fine headlamp to me.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment